[sane-devel] New Epson Scanners

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter@gmx.net
Fri, 04 Oct 2002 21:09:49 +0200

--------------010407080800010702020709

Jaeger, Gerhard wrote:
> This was my fault, change the entry enableTPA to option enableTPA, this
> helps. But before that. please download version 0.44-2, this one fixes
> a problem in the lamp switching routine...

Before I updated to 0.44-2 both the TPA and the scan head lights were on
in transparency and negative mode, in normal mode only the scan head light.

After updating to 0.44-2 and being in normal mode, only the scan head
light is on. When I switch from normal mode to transparency mode the
scan head light turns off and the TPA light on, as expected. Going back
to normal mode turns off the TPA light and turns back on the scan head
light, also as expected. When switching from normal to negative mode, it
behaves also as expected: scan head off, TPA on. Back to normal: scan
head on, TPA off, also correct. But when I switch from negative to
transparency or from transparency to negative both lamps go on, so there
is still a bug.

In addition, scanning slides and negatives with 150 dpi is much slower
than scanning normal paper with 150 dpi (I have done all tests with 150
dpi).

> Another thing which has to be fixed are the TPA origins. But this one
> can only be done by someone who owns the device...

For the TPA coordinates I have put the slide/negative frames which come
with the scanner onto the glass and put the TPA lamp onto the frame, the
feet of the lamp into the appropriate holes. There are two frames, one
for negatives and one for slides. They position the lamp at the same
place on the scanning glass. They both have a white reference hole which
is at the same position. A second hole is there to insert either one
framed slide (around 5x5 cm, the usual size) or one 24x36 mm negative,
depending on which frame one uses. The frames cannot be fixed on the
scanner and they do not fill out the whole scanner glass. So they can
slide easily out of position.

To get the negative or slide in the frames correctly scanned I have
edited the origins in /etc/sane.d/plustek.conf. The edited file is attached.

> BTW, what about the Perfection 660, do you still have this device?

Unfortunately, we had to send it back, so I cannot test it now.

    Till

--------------010407080800010702020709

# Plustek-SANE Backend configuration file
# For use with Plustek parallel-port scanners and
# LM9831/2/3 based USB scanners
#
# For parport devices use the parport section
#
[parport]
#device /dev/pt_drv

#
# leave the default values as specified in /etc/modules.conf
#
#option warmup    -1
#option lOffOnEnd -1
#option lampOff   -1

#
# The USB section:
# each device needs at least two lines:
# - [usb] vendor-ID and product-ID
# - device devicename
# i.e. for Plustek (0x07B3) UT12/16/24 (0x0017)
# [usb] 0x07B3 0x0017
# device /dev/usbscanner
#
# additionally you can specify some options
# warmup, lOffOnEnd, lampOff
#
# For autodetection use
# [usb]
# device /dev/usb/scanner0
#
# NOTE: autodetection is safe, as it uses the info it got
#       from the USB subsystem. If you're not using the
#       autodetection, you MUST have attached that device
#       at your USB-port, that you have specified...
#

[usb] 0x04B8 0x011D

#
# options for the previous USB entry
#
# switch lamp off after xxx secs, 0 disables the feature
option lampOff 0

# warmup period in seconds, 0 means no warmup
option warmup 30

# 0 means leave lamp-status untouched, not 0 means switch off
# on sane_close
option lOffOnEnd 0

#
# options to tweak the image start-position
# (WARNING: there's no internal range check!!!)
#
# for the normal scan area
#
option posOffX 0
option posOffY 0

# for transparencies
option tpaOffX -45
option tpaOffY -312

# for negatives
option negOffX -92
option negOffY -325

#
# for adjusting the default gamma values
# use values of 2.5 for CanoScan
#
option redGamma         1.0
option greenGamma       1.0
option blueGamma        1.0
option grayGamma        1.0

#
# to enable TPA (non Plustek devices only)
# 0 means default behaviour as specified in the internal tables
# 1 means enable
#
option enableTPA 1

#
# and of course the device-name
#
device /dev/usb/scanner0

#
# to define a new device, start with a new section:
# [usb] or [parport]
#

--------------010407080800010702020709--