[sane-devel] where to put firmware files?

Sat, 5 Oct 2002 18:45:29 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 05:27:30PM +0100, Major A wrote:
> Yes, but the firmware usually contains all the code that drives the
> scanner, including USB endpoint handling code. Therefore two scanners
> with the same firmware would have the same command protocol, thus they
> should be handled by the same backend anyway.

Yes, but having the same name doesn't mean that's the same firmware. I
just wanted to point out that the firmware names aren't that unique.

> Maybe a naming convention would be most appropriate? Say, instead of
> subdirectories backend1 and backend2, one would create images called
> backend1-ps1.usb and backend2-sbfw.usb or so.

I wouldn't do that because that means forcing the user to rename the
firmware files. It's confusing enough to find the correct one, extract
it from some Windows installer file and copy it to the correct
location. I would like to keep at least the filename.

I think the directory approach (e.g. sane/umax) is ok. The backend
itsself knows which firmware is relevant for which scanner so that's
ok.