[sane-devel] where to put firmware files?

Sun, 6 Oct 2002 13:29:14 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 10:59:58AM +0100, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
> henning@meier-geinitz.de said:
> > There are differnt firmware files for the same vendor and product ids.
> > E.g. all the gt6801 based scanners (there are many) use the same ids
> > and the firmware is differnt for most of them. You need the right one
> > to get it working. That's one reason why I want to keep the name of
> > the firmware as it is.
>
> Surely that means that these scanners are compliant with the USB
> specification. Not that this helps us. However their must be some
> additional identification parameter that could be used perhaps via
> a hash function of some sort that would allow us to uniquely identify
> the firmware files with the scanners.

I don't know how. All the scanners based on the GT-6801 use the same
vendor/product ids. These are at least:

Artec Ultima 2000
Boeder SmartScan Slim Edition
Lifetec LT 9385
Lifetec LT 9452
Mustek BearPaw 1200 CU
Mustek BearPaw 2400 CU
Mustek ScanExpress 1200 UB Plus
Tevion MD 9458
Trust Flat Scan USB 19200

Some of them are probably just relabled Mustek or Artec scanners.
However, there are at least two different types: The BearPaw 1200 CU
based and the ScnExpress 1200 UB Plus based scanners.

When I use the "wrong" firmware, the motor moves the other way round.
Not good for the hardware...

So the only difference seems to be the way the motor is controlled.

The external interface is the same. That means, I don't need to make a
distinction between these scanners in my backend. It's just the
firmware.

The 2400 CU is a different thing. Same ids but must be accessed
differently. I don't know how, currently.