[sane-devel] aha152x with mustek scanner and SANE

Bjoern Brill brill@samson.math.uni-frankfurt.de
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 00:59:05 +0200 (MEST)

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Mike Nix wrote:

> forgot to mention - Slackware 8.1, kernel 2.4.19, no modifications to the
> SCSI subsystem.
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been trying to get the aha152x driver working with an adaptec SCSI
> card
> > (aic-6360 based ISA card) and mustek MFS-12000-SP scanner with partial
> > success.
> >
> > I have had the scanner working with a DTC card and the NCR driver, but as
> it
> > has no interrupts, and took the systems entire attention for 30 seconds to
> > scan,  I needed to change the card.
> >
> > With the aha152x diver, the scanner is found & initialized and the scan
> > commences - but about the time the first data is returned from the scanner
> > get a NULL pointer exception.

[...]
> > I realize this is likely a SCSI driver problem, but imagine someone might
> > have seen it before.

I'm seeing this as well. I have a Mustek SE 12000 SP Plus attached to an
Adaptec AVA 1505, which is driven by Linux' aha152x driver. That
combination has been working well for a long time under various 2.2.x
kernels, but broke after upgrading from 2.2.21 to (unpatched) 2.4.19 with
exactly the same symptoms. I use SANE 1.0.7 as shipped with Debian 3.0
(shouldn't matter, but means the problem is not Mandrake specific).

Looking at my syslog, it seems the aha152x driver is told to abort a
running command and can't handle that. Note the 2.4.20-pre series contains
a small patch to aha152x.c, but I haven't tried it yet.

Regards,

Bjoern
--
Bj"orn Brill <brill@fs.math.uni-frankfurt.de>