[sane-devel] "Tollyboy Products"

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm@lineone.net
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 17:10:06 +0100

At 11:07 AM 10/16/02 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>I take it you didn't visit the web page to see just what tollyboy's
>jolly generator was then?  I didn't go past the opening page, but
>its front and center display was for a combination safety belt and
>cod-piece from 500 years back, called a 'security' belt.  Complete
>with gold chains & assorted S&M trimmings.
>
>In other words that autoresponder message is nothing more than pure
>spam, and has absolutely nothing to do with sane.  Pull down
>filters, add a from=autoresponder, close, hit ctrl+j and voila!
>uce@ftc.gov now will get all further copies starting with the 3
>I've got so far today.

Now hold on just a cotton-picking.  How do you make the bold statement that
rules out that this person, who, no matter his occupation and lack of
forethought with his autoresponder, might have a scanner and OS that sane
runs on.

Your indignant message is based more on what he does as work and not what
he is doing regards autoresponders.  Do you know the occupation of all the
sane-devel list subscribers?  I  would say remove him temporarily and
notify him that if he wants to resubscribe to not put any autoresponders
on.  Also, my vote is to put a few little filters on the mailing list to
reject autoresponders.

I certainly cannot advocate removing someone from the list (blocking as
someone else has suggested) based on their occupation.  If this person does
start submitting spam (other than his current non-thinking responder) then
yes, by all means, but not guilty until proven innocent.

>I recommend US citizens follow suite.

Thankfully I am not a US citizen, I am a UK subject, and therefore, if I
don't bow to the queen, I can have my head chopped off.

-
Martyn Ranyard
Free Software Advocate

jabber - joran@amessage.de