[sane-devel] AGFA Spanscan E50 USB

Oliver Schwartz Oliver.Schwartz@gmx.de
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 20:31:35 +0200

Hi,

> I'm trying to get an AGFA Spanscan E50 USB scanner to work.
> It didn't right out of the box so I have some learning to do.
>
> What is the generic USB driver that is mentioned?

The generic USB driver is the driver for your USB chipset. There are basi=
cally=20
two kinds: UHCI (Intel, Via) and OHCI (some other vendors, can't remember=
).=20
To make matters more complicated, the UHCI drivers comes in two flavours:=
=20
Either as module "uhci" or as module "usb-uhci". It seems that the latter=
=20
works a lot faster.=20

You have to modprobe one of these modules before loading the scanner modu=
le,=20
but since you get an output from "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices" you already=20
loaded the correct module (ohci in your case).

> I configured USB scanner support into the kernel, it works as a module.
> I am using the CVS version of SANE and the 20020926 snapscan backend
> (which version is in CVS SANE?).

The version in CVS SANE is a bit newer but doesn't have any advantages fo=
r=20
your scanner.

> Hopefully someone can interpret this for me.
> The first cat is after I booted.
> The scanner is recognized but there is no driver has claimed that
> interface (the usbscanner as mentioned in the docs at
> http://snapscan.sourceforge.net/).
> usbscanner is supposed to be mentioned.

If you didn't load the scanner module that is to be expected.

> lsusb
> Unknown line at line 1809
> Duplicate HUT Usage Spec at line 2650
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Virtual Hub
> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 06bd:208f AGFA-Gevaert NV SnapScan e50
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Virtual Hub
> Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05a9:a511 OmniVision Technologies, Inc. OV511+
> WebCam

> Why is there no manufacturer and product string for my webcam?

Ask the manufacturer of your webcam.=20

> # modprobe  scanner vendor=3D0x06bd product=3D0x208f
> # sane-find-scanner -v
>
> checking /dev/usb/scanner0... open ok, vendor and product ids were
> identified
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=3D0x06bd, product=3D0x208f) at /dev/usb/scann=
er0

o.k.

> Why do I have to provide the vendor and product to modprobe, I don't fo=
r my
> webcam?

Your webcam isn't handled by the scanner module. In a later kernel versio=
n you=20
hopefully won't have to supply the IDs. Until the IDs of newer scanners a=
re=20
added to the kernel, you have to supply them manually.

Regards,

Oliver