[sane-devel] "Tollyboy Products"

Gene Heskett gene_heskett@iolinc.net
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 00:34:49 -0400

On Wednesday 16 October 2002 11:44, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>I have made all mailing lists on linuxprinting.org subscriber-only
> to avoid spam getting onto the lists. If this guy is not
> subscribed (which is probably the case) one could block him out
> by making the SANE subscriber-only, too. If he subscribes to
> lists only to get spam onto them, the list admin should
> unsubscribe him, and if the mailing list software allows it,
> blacklist his address against re-subscribing.
>
>It is very awkward for every list user to set up filter rules
> personally.
>
>In addition, scanning problems can never be solved by
> auto-responders, also they don't give any suggestion to make SANE
> better. Should postings which are obviously from auto-responders
> be blocked out in general? At least the sender domain
> "tollyboy.com" should be blocked.
>
>You are explaining the exact steps how to set a filter rule which
>deletes these mails (or does it even forward them automatically to
>uce@ftc.gov?), but you don't tell which mail client you are using.
> My Mozilla has no "Filter" pull-down menu (but also a filter
> dialog, but this dialog has no auto-forwarding to uce@ftc.gov).
>
>    Till

Opps, sorry Till.  I'm using kmail-1.4.3 (again after upgrading to
rh8.0 this morning -- back on the morning of the 16th that is,  and
discovering that evolution apparently doesn't support my isp's
login procedure for sending mail)  I had to dl all 106 packages of
kde-3.0.4 for rh8.0 and install it all before I could get that
working again.  The fonts look like he!! but its working.  And its
been a looong day.

That filter will grab anything in the From: line with the keyword
'autoresponder' (case insensitive) in it, so its pretty general.  I
just sent 5 or 6 more of them to uce@ftc.gov, something just above
a megabyte total of that excrement for them to sort through.

[...I'll leave this for other kmail users]

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M