[sane-devel] Patch to show existense of hpoj backend.

abel deuring a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 13:24:51 +0200

Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 09:48:45AM +0200, Jarl Friis wrote:
> > I suggest the following patch to help sys-admins and package
> > maintainers to use sane with the hpoj backend.
>
> There are many external backends, not only hpoj. I think it's the job
> of the external package to either add an entry to dll.conf or document
> that it's necessary to add one.
>
> > I just read that code-freeze for 1.0.9 is today, so in lack of time
> > before code-freeze I have not been able to test the patch, but as the
> > change is only comments, it shouldn't be able to destroy anything.
>
> We are already in feature freeze. But I'll add a TODO entry so we can
> add commented out external entries for dll.conf in future. But I'm not
> sure if this doesn't create too much confusion.
>
> > If somebody is a autoconf-guru consider the following change to scripts:
> > To make configure to take an argument '--with-hpoj' that will uncomment
> > the hpoj backend line. This may help package creators even more.
>
> Please don't. The normal user may find this configure option and
> wonders why enabling it doesn't install the hpoj backend.

Well, we could add a more verbose comment like "if you want to use the
XYZ backend, you must download and install the stuff from
http://some.domain/and/path". A user who knows where to find and edit
dll.conf is probably able to read and understand such a note ;)

Abel