[sane-devel] 44-10 vs epson 1250

Gene Heskett gene_heskett@iolinc.net
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 12:29:05 -0400

On Friday 18 October 2002 11:59, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>Epson Perfection 2450 works also without any problems.

To continue the saga, I rebuilt the kernel twice (Alan forgot to
increment the minor number to -ac2 in the Makefile:) and re-enabled
just the epson and plustek lines in /usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf.

Then I tried to rebuild the iscan-1.3.0 package, but got googolbytes
of include deprecated messages, and finally an exit on a couple of
gigabytes of __gxx missing messages, so there is obviously a
missing include package someplace in Payton Place.  BUT...., I
think it did build the library before it puked, so I did a make
install anyway.  I'll go 'locating' that one eventually unless
epson has now released a newer driver than the 1.3.0 version I
have.

Can someone supply the URL for that?

Anyway, after the second rebuild and reboot to 2.4.20-pre10-ac2 and
all of the above putzing around, I am happy to report that at least
at 300 dpi, it all works, both plustek and the epson gt-7200, with
a slight quality edge going to the epson driver.

There is a slight shading variation over the field, and a couple of
stripes that look as if the source images paper is folded then
flattened again in the plustek output that isn't there in the epson
drivers output, but generally speaking, if I hadn't seen the epson
output, I'd be happier than that famous pig with the output of the
plustek driver.

I did note that with the plustek driver, the real time updating of
the preview image when an adjustment to the brightness slider was
made no longer worked.  Also the autoadjust button didn't, so I
assume none of them worked in real time.  And I use the daylights
out of that stuff, so thats a major bummer!  Please, please fix.

That of course never worked with the iscan driver, one of my major
dissapointments with epson.

So, the lesson here is: if ya wanna run bleeding edge kernels, skip
2.4.20-pre10-ac1.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M