[sane-devel] Scanner ARTEC e+

Michael Herder crapsite@gmx.net
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 17:03:05 +0200

antoine, Samstag, 19. Oktober 2002 14:35:
> HI,
>
> Who has installed a Scanner "ARTEC e+ 48 bits pro scanner" under a
> Red-Hat 7.3 ?
> Can you help me about your experience and somme advices

Is this the successor of the Artec E+ 48U, with an optical resolution of
1200x2400 dpi, vid 0x05d8 pid 0x4004 ?
If it is, then it's probably not supported at the moment. However, as far as
I know, it's very similar to the Artec E+ 48U, at least it's also based on
the GT6816 chip -- and the windows drivers (Artec48.sys/ArtecPro.sys) for
both scanners are exactly the same thing, only the names (and the firmware)
differs :-)
You might perhaps get it running somehow with the tevion9693usb backend (
http://www.angelfire.com/linux/crapsite ).
If you like to try it, then install the backend and modify the file
tevion9693usb.conf .
Change the line
usb 0x05d8 0x4003
usb 0x05d8 0x4004
and edit the path to your firmware file (probably called "1200.usb" ?)
Make sure, that the scanner module is loaded:
modprobe -r scanner
modprobe scanner vendor=0x05d8 product=0x4004

Try to start a frontend.
If your scanner is detected and the frontend starts up, be /*VERY CAREFUL*/
when you try to start a scan. Keep one hand at the usb cable and pull the
plug immediately, if the scanner starts to make strange noise.
Even if this works somehow, the result will be quite crappy, but this could
be fixed.

Another option is to experiment with Hennings gt68xx backend.
See http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/gt68xx-backend/

bb
Michael