[sane-devel] Code-freeze for sane-1.0.9 active

Sun, 20 Oct 2002 16:27:58 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 02:47:14PM +0100, Major A wrote:
> > Hmm. According to a google search, you might try recompiling with
> > LDFLAGS="-N"
>
> Fantastic, that helps! Now I've beaten the magic 1min: 49.270s for a
> full build of sane-backends-1.0.9-pre2 on a dual Alpha ev67 667MHz,
> using both CPUs, with DEC's cc. This machine has 1GB memory (PC100
> ECC, 4 modules per bank, i.e. 256-bit bus) and 4MB L2 cache per
> CPU. No, it's not mine, unfortunately!
>
> Can we add the "-N" flag somewhere, either in configure.in or in the
> documentation?

I don't want to change configure.in that short before release. We
don't know what other combinations of linkers/OS/compilers do if we
enable -N. And even with a check for that specific compiler it's risky.

Maybe in one of the README.platform files. That's also Linux? There is
already a section about "Other Information" in README.linux so we
could add it there.

And think about a good detection in configure.in for after the release.