[sane-devel] possible sane problem, not sure

Gene Heskett gene_heskett@iolinc.net
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 17:04:36 -0400

On Sunday 20 October 2002 14:57, Karl Heinz Kremer wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 11:55:00AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Sunday 20 October 2002 07:56, Karl Heinz Kremer wrote:
>> >On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 04:12:43AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >[ ... ]

>> >There is no "epson gt-7200" backend. The GT-7200 is the
>> > Perfection 1250 (just a different name for the same scanner),
>> > which means that the standard EPSON backend will not work.
>>
>> Being picky about case?  Thats how xsane reports it as when
>> bringing up in driver selector choice window...
>
>No, not about the case, there is no "epson gt-7200 backend",
> neither is there a "EPSON GT-7200" backend. There is a EPSON (or
> epson) backend and a Plustek backend...

>> >I don't know Kooka, but I guess it cannot be blamed for you
>> > selecting the wrong backend. :-) It's also not a problem with
>> > the EPSON backend: This scanner is not supported by this
>> > backend.
>>
>> Oh?  Tell that to epson-kowa iscan-1.4.0 people.  It also worked
>> just fine with 1.3.0, but 1.3.0 had licensing problems and was
>> pulled.  1.4.0 replaces it, just announced a couple of days ago.
>> The epson gui frontend 'iscan' for linux won't build now
>> (pisa_something-or-other errors the make, like there is a
>> missing header file or some such), but the libs are made first,
>> so they are built and can be installed.  ??? or were they?
>> According to my reading of the makefile, the executable libs
>> should be in /usr/local/libexec, and there are only amanda
>> things there. Humm....
>
>... and there is the EPSON KOWA backend, which at this time
> unfortunately is also named "epson". The name of this will very
> likely be changed to something like epsonkw if we cannot come up
> with a "grand unified EPSON backend", which has been my plan for
> quite some time now. I just did not have the time yet to merge
> the two. Now that we have both a new IScan release and (almost) a
> new Sane release, it probably would be a good time to try again
>
>On my system I had no problems building IScan.
>
>Unfortunately nothing in your original email suggested that you
> were using the IScan software.

No, as I stated, the iscan-1.0.4 build failed on the pisa_* stuff in
the frontends directory.  The previous version 1.0.3, also failed
at the same place, so I've always used the xsane frontend.  Below
is my /usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf:
--------------------
# enable the next line if you want to allow access through the
network:
#net
#abaton
#agfafocus
#apple
#avision
#artec
#as6e
#bh
#canon
#coolscan
#dc25
#dc210
#dc240
#dmc
epson
#hp
#m3096g
#microtek
#microtek2
#mustek
#mustek_pp
#mustek_usb
#nec
#pie
#pint
plustek
#pnm
#qcam
#ricoh
#s9036
#sharp
#sm3600
#snapscan
#sp15c
#st400
#tamarack
#umax
#umax_pp
#umax1220u
#v4l
----------
showing only that 2 backends are enabled.  Am I mistaken in
assumeing that the GT-7200 is coming from the iscan libraries?
I did not have that option before building and installing the iscan
parts that *would* compile from the iscan-1.3.0.tar.gz back when it
was first announced on this list as being available.  And no
replaced with supposedly identical parts from 1.4.0, however it now
has a pretty obvious cyan cast to the high-lights of an image.

I've sent the epson-kowa pages a message about the compile problems,
but no reply since this is the weekend.

FWIW, the *only* active line in epson.conf is:

usb /dev/usb/scanner0

Everything else is commented out.  So _I_ think I'm running the
epson iscan libraries from xsane when I choose the GT-7200 option
from the xscan startup menu.

With the (apparently un-adjustable) cyan cast to the GT-7200 output,
the plustek performance is now the better of the two, however it
has about a 10 pixel wide white vertical line located at about the
6.75" mark from the left margin in the 300 dpi mode.  This isn't
visible at 600dpi, but that little exersize managed to fill up the
/ partition on my hard drive so those two resolutions are all I've
checked, and I've been the rest of the day recovering from that.

Only about half an hour ago I managed to get X running again.  It
couldn't find the fixed font on startup.

--
Cheers Karl, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M