[sane-devel] Umax 1220P not detected with /dev/parport0

stef stef-listes@wanadoo.fr
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 07:24:15 +0200

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 11:00:24PM +0100, Ryan Harkin wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Just an update on my scanner problem, sorry if I am boring you....
>
> I have just downloaded and built kernel 2.4.18 from kernel.org and find that
> my scanner works perfectly with /dev/parport0 as root and user.
>
> So, the diffs between 2.4.18 and 2.4.18-14 break something on my system!
>
> Does this mean that I should be reporting the bug to the kernel developers
> instead of here?

	I reported this on linux-parport mailing list. I've been asked to test irq
parameters (in fact trying with irq=none) to see what it gives, which I'll do soon.
You can do the same. If you post to linux-parport@torque.net, you can add the 'demsg'
info related to your parport.

> I suppose that there is not much point trying ECP/EPP mode as it has never
> worked.  And there isn't much point in trying 2.4.19 because that does not
> work with EPP only according to Stef.

	I run my scanner with ECP/EPP mode on 2.4.19-preX. You have to turn on these
kernel build options:

CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO=y
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_SUPERIO=y

if they aren't set in the .config (which is located in the top directory of the
kernel sources). And rebuild modules (if parport is configured to be a module).

> I guess that 2.4.18-14 from RedHat has the parport mods from 2.4.19 in there.
>
> Also, is the fact that kernel 2.4.19 no longer supports my scanner a bug?!?
> Or do I just have to live with the fact that I need to throw my scanner away
> if I ever want to upgrade my kernel in the future?

	No, if it's a kernel bug (which I believe), it will eventually get fixed.

	An other thing to would be to feed the diffs between 2.4.18 to 2.4.19 until
parport support breaks, but eve if we limit ourself to parport changes, it can
be time consuming.

Regards,
	Stef