[sane-devel] No Sane Device Found

Tue, 22 Oct 2002 13:08:06 +0200

[CC'ed to David, because he is the author of that tutorial]

Hi,
On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 06:44:34PM +0800, ' ' wrote:
> This link  http://panda.mostang.com/sane/lj98/doc003.html#s2 states
> that
> "Note that you don't have to own a scanner or a camera to play with
> SANE. The distribution includes a pseudo-driver that simulates a
> scanner by reading portable ``anymap'' (PNM) files".
> This link could also be found in
> /usr/local/doc/sane-1.0.9-pre2/sane.ps (if latex  is  installed
>        on    your    system)
>  Does it mean that even if i don't have a scanner or camera, i could
> get a reply that looks like this:
>
> device `pnm:0' is a Noname PNM file reader virtual device
> device `pnm:1' is a Noname PNM file reader virtual device

The tutorial is a bit out-of-date concerning the pnm backend. It isn't
compiled by default, so no devices are listed. If you want to test
your installation, you can enable the "test" backend in dll.conf
instead or just run scanimage -d test --help.

David, is it ok if we update these sections of the tutorial?