[sane-devel] frontends and GIMP

Tue, 22 Oct 2002 13:01:19 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 10:51:26AM +0100, Major A wrote:
> That is precisely what causes problems. When someone installs
> something in /usr/local/XXX, more often than not they create symlinks
> for the programs in /usr/local/XXX/bin only.

I see. I didn't think about the "put everything in one subdirectory"
approach.

> It is often undesirable
> and inconventient to link the headers and libraries (or even modify
> LIBRARY_PATH or /etc/ld.so.conf), especially if there is a program
> XXX-config that tells you exactly where to find them.

But isn't ld.so.conf/LD_LIBRARY_PATH for runtime-linking? So it must
be set up correctly anyway, otherwise you can link at buildtime but
not run the binaries.

> > Patches are welcome. We should also make sure that gtk version is
> > <=1.2.something, because gtk 2.0 won't work. What about neewer gimp
> > versions?
>
> There are some important issues we have to face at some stage -- the
> code should be easily ported to GTK 2.0,

GTK 2.0 doesn't have the gamma widget so this part of code must be
added to xscanimage itsself.

> but GIMP 1.2 also still uses
> GTK 1.2, and GIMP 1.3 (which uses GTK 2.0) probably has a new
> API... (I haven't even been able to build it from CVS yet!)

I guess it's just not possible to use both. Either gtk2.0/gimp1.3 or
gtk1.2/gimp1.2.

> How about checking the GTK version and placing #ifdefs inside the code
> for incompatible differences?

That's already done for gimp changes. It's more concise if the ifdefs
are in a seperate file.

> BTW, gimp-config would be very useful once again because it tells you
> which version of GTK to use, and I don't think you have a choice when
> you build a GIMP plugin.

Go for it (after 1.0.9) :-)