[sane-devel] Help with ppdev /dev/parport0 on Mandrake Linux 9

Matthew Duggan stauff@guarana.org
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 23:36:01 +1000

Ryan Harkin wrote:
> You need to create the /dev/parportX devices under Mandrake.  When I
was
> testing my scanner under Mandrake, I created /dev/parport0 manually
using
> mknod:
>
> # mknod /dev/parport0 c 99 0
>
> However, after playing with the printer config utilities and doing
some other >
> playing about Mandrake created /dev/parport1..9 without me noticing.
>
> They were softlinks to /dev/parport/[1..9] or
/dev/parport/parport[1..9] or
> something like that.  If you can't figure out how to create the
softlinks,
> the mknod command should be OK.

Hi,
I beleive Mandrake uses devfs (which those softlinks confirm), so you
shouldn't have to make device nodes (and it might not work to do that
anyway, since it's not a real filesystem).. you should add something
like:

alias /dev/parport0 ppdev

to /etc/modules.conf so that devfsd knows what to load when parport0 is
accessed.

- Matthew