[sane-devel] Umax Astra 1220s

Major A andras@users.sourceforge.net
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 14:17:17 +0000

> I have a Umax Astra 1220s running on an SGI Indy, IRIX 6.5.14, and using the network scan utility I have to telnet in, or switch seats to start the saned daemon using the -d128 switch for it to work. Question is does anyone else out there have the saned daemon loading automatically at boot time with IRIX, would you be willing to share your start-up script as I can't seem to get mine to work, it loads then unloads. If anyone wants to see the script let
> me know, I am new to this list and didn't want to send it to everyone.

I'm not sure saned is supposed to be started at boot. It's usually run
by inetd, I'm sure there is something that corresponds to
/etc/inetd.conf on IRIX. On my Linux box, this is what the entry looks like:

  sane    stream  tcp     nowait  saned   /usr/local/sane/sbin/saned      saned

I have a user called "saned" for this purpose so saned doesn't run as
root. You will also have to have the proper entry in /etc/services.

> Also when using Xsane on Win 32and the saned daemon, My Indy only has 8 bit graphics unfortunately, I only seem to get a junk image with 12 bit scanning, which the scanner supports, does anyone else have this problem?? Using sane 1.08, downloaded from the SGI freeware site.

The graphics capabilities of the Indy are irrelevant if you are
running your frontend on Windows. This looks like a backend endianness
problem to me. Has anyone else tested a combo like this?

  Andras

Major Andras
    e-mail: andras@users.sourceforge.net
    www:    http://andras.webhop.org/