[sane-devel] Umax Astra 1220s

Sun, 27 Oct 2002 15:32:16 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 12:56:27AM +1100, Glenn Barry wrote:
> I have a Umax Astra 1220s running on an SGI Indy, IRIX 6.5.14, and
> using the network scan utility I have to telnet in, or switch seats
> to start the saned daemon using the -d128 switch for it to work.

The -d switch is only intended for debugging.

> Also when using Xsane on Win 32and the saned daemon, My Indy only has
> 8 bit graphics unfortunately, I only seem to get a junk image with 12
> bit scanning, which the scanner supports, does anyone else have this
> problem?? Using sane 1.08, downloaded from the SGI freeware site.

Does local scanning work, e.g. with scanimage? Even if your display
can only show 8 bits, e.g. gimp is able to convert the 16 bit tiff
generated by scanimage --format=tiff to an 8-bit image.

Several problems can occur: the backend could use the wrong byte-order
for transferring the data to the saned, saned could get it wrong while
transferring over the net, the netbackend, too, and finally the
frontend.