[sane-devel] Installation of Epson 1650 Scanner

John S. Dey jsdey@optonline.net
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 14:06:34 -0500

Karl:

(1) You were right -- the permission was "crw-------" but the owner was
user.  When I change the permission to "crw-rw-rw" and set owner to
"user.user" and logoff and logon again the values revert to "cwr-------"
and "user.root".  RH does something or maybe Gnome.  I tried with
another user account and observed the same behavior.

(2) After setting to "crw-rw-rw" and "user.user" and running xsane as
before, the debug scan.log file now doesn't have the line "Send buf,
Size=2" but ends with the line "[epson] attach failed: Access to
resource has been denied"

(3) There were no messages printed to the console

(4) I don't have another USB cable but I have a Win98 machine that did
work with the scanner.  I will check out that this is still the case.  I
plan to install RH 7.3 on that machine and I will run the experiments
using it.

(5)  I am currently running on a Compaq Presario 5000 with a USB keyboard.

Thank you for your efforts and suggestions.  Any further thoughts will
be greatly appreciated.