[sane-devel] Re: Re: IO-error in sane/Xsane using IDE over SCSI

Katja und Siegfried Haas KatjaundSiegfried.Haas@t-online.de
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 20:39:07 +0100

--------------000101000505030100050702

Hello again!

First thank you Henning very much for the fast reply!

To answer Your questions -

    My Kernel is 2.4.10-4GB
    I have allready reduced the mustek.config to the very basics and in
    the sane.dll there is only mustek activated
    How do I activate the debug messages?
    My sane-version  is 0.79 and sane /scanimage does not prompt an
    errormessage but seams to get stuck/the bash doesn't turn back to
    the prompt and afterwards when trying to open the pnm with gimp it
    is said, that there is an unexpected end of the file and gimp can't
    open the picutre.

And anyway - do you have an idea, why the scanner works as root via sane
and doesn't as normal user?!
And where can I look up the scan-commands for sane?! Is there any
summary on the web?

Thank's a lot

Siegfried

>Hi,
>
>On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 08:38:30PM +0100, Katja und Siegfried Haas wrote:
>

>>I have just subscribed the mailinglist and would like to make the
>>following request! Can anybody help me?
>>

>Looks more like a kernel or SuSE than a SANE problem.
>
>To make sure, no SANE backend interfers, you could disable everything
>but mustek in dll.conf. An you could disable all the scsi entries in
>mustek.conf and only use a fixed "/dev/sg2".
>

>>After installing Xcdroast on my Linux-system (SuSE 7.3, Kernel 2.4) I
>>had to set both - the IDE-CD-Rom and the IDE-CD-Writer - as SCSI-devices
>>via the "SCSI-emulation", using the command in lilo-append "hdc=ide-scsi
>>hdd=ide-scsi".
>>

>Similar problems with the SCSI emulation have been reported
>frequently. But I thought they have been fixed meanwhile. Which kernel
>version is this exactly?
>

>>That works well for Xcdroast but now my SCSI-Scanner
>>(Mustek Paragon 600 II) gives, when using it via Xsane as normal user,
>>the errormessage "Fehler bei Geräte IO"and does not work at all.
>>

>If you enable debug messages, you should get a more detailed error
>message: SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK=255 xsane
>

>>When
>>scanning as root via sane the scanner works, allthough the ...pnm-file,
>>which is created, can not be read by gimp (error-message"unexpected end
>>of file").
>>

>Usually that means, that some sort of error ocuured, too. But
>scanimage should also pront the error message. Which SANE version do
>you use?
>

>>cat proc/scsi/scsi gives the answer in the attached file (CD-Rom at
>>0000, CD-RW at 0010 and Scanner at 1060)
>>

>Looks ok for me.
>

>>What can I do? How can I set the permission correct for the physical
>>SCSI-Adapter?(sg2 has the right permissions!)
>>

>No idea. Usually you must only set the permissions for /dev/sg?.
>However, the "error during device io" usually doesn't mean "permission
>problem" but a problem during actual scanning.
>
>Bye,
>  Henning

--------------000101000505030100050702

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Hello again!<br>
First thank you Henning very much for the fast reply!<br>
To answer Your questions -
I have allready reduced the mustek.config to the very basics and in the sane.dll
there is only mustek activated <br>
How do I activate the debug messages?<br>
My sane-version&nbsp; is 0.79 and sane /scanimage does not prompt an errormessage
but seams to get stuck/the bash doesn't turn back to the prompt and afterwards
when trying to open the pnm with gimp it is said, that there is an unexpected
end of the file and gimp can't open the picutre.</blockquote>
And anyway - do you have an idea, why the scanner works as root via sane
and doesn't as normal user?!<br>
And where can I look up the scan-commands for sane?! Is there any summary
on the web?<br>
Thank's a lot<br>
Siegfried<br>
 cite="mid20021029024901.7524.66365.Mailman@panda.mostang.com">
  <pre wrap="">

Hi,

    <pre wrap="">I have just subscribed the mailinglist and would like to make the
following request! Can anybody help me?
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
Looks more like a kernel or SuSE than a SANE problem.

To make sure, no SANE backend interfers, you could disable everything
but mustek in dll.conf. An you could disable all the scsi entries in
mustek.conf and only use a fixed "/dev/sg2".

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">After installing Xcdroast on my Linux-system (SuSE 7.3, Kernel 2.4) I
had to set both - the IDE-CD-Rom and the IDE-CD-Writer - as SCSI-devices
via the "SCSI-emulation", using the command in lilo-append "hdc=ide-scsi
hdd=ide-scsi".
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
Similar problems with the SCSI emulation have been reported
frequently. But I thought they have been fixed meanwhile. Which kernel
version is this exactly?

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">That works well for Xcdroast but now my SCSI-Scanner
(Mustek Paragon 600 II) gives, when using it via Xsane as normal user,
the errormessage "Fehler bei Ger&auml;te IO"and does not work at all.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
If you enable debug messages, you should get a more detailed error
message: SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK=255 xsane

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">When
scanning as root via sane the scanner works, allthough the ...pnm-file,
which is created, can not be read by gimp (error-message"unexpected end
of file").
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
Usually that means, that some sort of error ocuured, too. But
scanimage should also pront the error message. Which SANE version do
you use?

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">cat proc/scsi/scsi gives the answer in the attached file (CD-Rom at
0000, CD-RW at 0010 and Scanner at 1060)
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
Looks ok for me.

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">What can I do? How can I set the permission correct for the physical