[sane-devel] Lexmark X83

Tue, 29 Oct 2002 23:39:57 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 04:54:15PM -0800, Dave Close wrote:
> I noticed recently that Henning reports the gt68xx backend is reported
> to work with some Lexmark scanners, including the X70 and X73. So I've
> been encouraged to try with the X83 but I don't have it working yet.
> If anyone has already made it work, please let us know.

I have no reports about this scanner yet (and no reports about any
Lexmark scanner but the X70 at all).

If you don't fear losing warranty, you could have a look at the inside
of the scanner, if there is a GT-6816 chip. I have no idea if the X70
is the only Lexmark scanner with the GT6816, or if all the scanners
of the all-in-one series use this chip.

> According to gt68xx.conf, the X7? scanners identify as 0x043d 0x002d.
> My X83 identifies itself as 0x043d 0x003d, so I've added that line to
> gt68xx.conf. Without any other changes (using SANE from CVS), sane-
> find-scanner does not see the X83 (should it?).

It would if you had a current libusb installed. If you don't have, try
the modprobe as mentioned. If it doesn't work, try as root to avoid
permission problems.

It only makes sense to proceed when the scanner is found by
sane-find-scanner.

> scanimage -h gt68xx:
> (without a device file) reports a segmentation fault.

Ooops. Doesn't happen here:

$ scanimage -h gt68xx:
 Usage: scanimage [OPTION]...
 [...]
 scanimage: argument without option: gt68xx:'; try scanimage --help

However, the syntax would be:

scanimage -d gt68xx -h

And to find the scanner at all: scanimage -L

> Once I figure out what I'm doing wrong and get the scanner detected,
> I'll need the firmware file. Looking through the two CDs provided with
> the scanner, I don't find any files ending in .usb or .us_. Most of
> the files can be easily ruled out as possible firmware, but I'm not
> sure about lexusb.sy_.

Probably a kernel driver module. I don't think it's a firmware file.