[sane-devel] Best Java programming API library available

sony antony sonyantony@hotmail.com
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 02:44:21 +0000

Hi:
Today as the Architect of the project I just succeeded in getting the
management to accept using SANE for our project.
I have been reading some literature and compiling the RPMs available. I have
some questions. Pl accept my apologies if this is not the right place to ask
these questions ( I will be very grateful if you could point me to teh right
place in that case )

1. What is the licensing terms for SANE. Is it OK to use it for our project
( Its not a product sold outside. But a software used in our company )
2. I was reading that SANE is actually a standard that neatly helps to
abstract teh driver-specifics, away from teh user programs like GUI etc. Is
it this standard that is GPLd ( I didn t know specifications can be GPLd. I
thought only software can be GPLd )
3.Though I read SANE is a standard, I was also reading about ( like teh RPM
I downloaded from rpmfind.net ) SANE as a product. Are there more than one
implementation of that standard. Was I reading about one particular ( maybe
most popular - or even the only one ) implementation.

4. Our project is in Java with remote scanning requirement ( This was my
main argument against TWAIN ). Though I was reading about some discussions
on Java APIs in this group ( also on Issue 47 of old linuxjournal ), I
couldn t come across a downloadable java library for sane. Is there one that
is the most popular Java implementation.

5. Does all existing SANE java implementations require Native code
implementations ( JNI ). ( I m always afraid of a core dump ). Are there any
non native Java SANE implementation. ( similer to type 4 JDBC drivers
completely written in java )

6. How matured/stable are the Java implementations

7. In a remote scanning setup using Java on the client side, can the server
( saned ) be in C. Or is there an equivalent jsaned.

8. Finally has teh on-the-wire protocol for sane been implemented/mapped to
Java. IOW if I have a Java client, can my client process completely in Java
( bottommost layer in java talks this protocol, that is then sent over the
wire with Java sockets APIs - So its Java all the way )

Thanks a lot.

--sony

Get a speedy connection with MSN Broadband.  Join now!