[sane-devel] Scanner Daemon ??

Nick Lindsell nick@nexnix.co.uk
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 10:43:08 +0000

Greetings, list.

	I'm building a kiosk-based system that takes a scan, adds some text
converts to postscript and then prints. The frontend calls scanadf to do the
scan - problem is it runs too slow (about 1 minute per scan).

	I've found that the delay is caused by scanadf waiting for the scanner lamp
to warm up every time it starts and when scanadf exits the scanner lamp
goes off.
Applications like Xsane keep the lamp lit while the app is open so subsequent
scans are immediate but I need command-line.

	Has anyone on this list seen or heard of a daemon that will keep the scanner
  "ready" and can be triggered to perform a scan when needed ??
	I've had a play with saned but that doesn't come close.

	( scanner is Epson  Perfection 1260, O/S is Redhat 8.0  if that's of any use)

Many thanks,
  nick@nexnix