[sane-devel] Umax Astra 1200S freezing up

Bruce Forsberg forsberg@tns.net
Sun, 01 Sep 2002 16:09:38 -0700

Alan & Lori Smith wrote:

> I have a Umax Astra 1200S that I am using with an Initio 9100A SCSI card
> under Mandrake 8.2.  I have no trouble seeing the scanner (using
> sane-find-scanner) and it is recognized properly by xscanimage.  The
> problem is that it locks up scanimage or xscanimage whenever I try to
> make a scan.  I have had the same results using the included Domex card
> as well.  I can scan properly in WinDoze with either card.  No other
> devices are on the SCSI bus and I have only a 3 foot cable.

First off don't believe the usual nonsense about it being a SCSI cable
problem. More things have been blamed on this. I have a 1200S and have
the same problem. I have had to disable SCSI Bus resets in the SCSI card
bios. I had the same problem with my Adapter and Buslogic cards. Doing
this makes my 1200S work with either on Linux. For some reason windows
does not care but Linux does. Now, except for a few Buslogic driver
problems in the 2.4 kernel, my 1200S works flawlessly.

Hope this helps,

Bruce Forsberg