[sane-devel] Umax Astra 1200S freezing up

Bruce Forsberg forsberg@tns.net
Mon, 02 Sep 2002 12:00:26 -0700

I have two SCSI cards in my computer. An ISA Buslogic BT-545C card and a
PCI Adaptec 2940 card. I attach my slow devices to the Buslogic card:
Zip drive, 1X SCSI cdrom, and the UMAX scanner. To my Adaptec I attach
my fast devices: disk drive and Yamaha CDRW drive.

I don't recommend the Buslogic card since as best as I can determine it
is not being maintained in the 2.4 kernel. The driver has problems and I
am not aware of a fix. I use it but have to use 10 bit mode always and
set "option scsi-maxqueue 1" in the umax.conf file to work around
problems. It does work fine with these settings.

When I attach the UMAX scanner to my Adaptec card my CDRW burner will
have random bit errors when it tries to burn a CDR. But, with the UMAX
on the Adaptec card it works fine. But on both cards I do have to
disable SCSI bus resets in the SCSI bios in order for it to work.

There are probably many other better options for scanners. What I like
about the 1200S is that they are pretty cheap on EBAY if I ever need a
replacement part.

Bruce Forsberg