[sane-devel] Hp 6300C on FreeBSD seg fault

Michael Collette metrol@metrol.net
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 20:20:14 -0700

Recently purchased this Hp 6300C to connect via USB to my laptop running
FreeBSD.  In the past I had really good luck with Sane on a FreeBSD desktop
with an older scanjet via a SCSI connection, so I thought I'd give this a
try.

After a good bit of fighting with it, I finally managed to get Sane to talk to
it.  sane-find-scanner never does properly report the proper model, but XSane
appears to be utilizing the Hp backend when talking to /dev/uscanner0.

If I do a preview in "line art" mode, all is well.  I can changed the mode to
"Color" and do a full res scan from that point.  The thing that's broken here
is when I attempt a color preview.  When I do this, it scans very nearly to
the end of the document then promptly seg faults.

In thinking this might be due to the scan attempting to go too far I shortened
the preview length to "letter".  No change, still seg faults.

At this point I'm guessing that the problem might be somehow related to the
fact that Sane is unable to determine the exact model of the scanner in use.
I actually haven't a clue, but grasping at straws as best I can.

Vital Stats:
4.6-STABLE FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #0: Sat Aug 31 03:01:09 PDT 2002

Built from source from ports tree:
sane-backends-1.0.8
sane-frontends-1.0.8
xsane-0.87

I really need to determine if this scanner is usable via the USB on FreeBSD or
not.  Limited time before I can take it back and get a refund and all.  It
really looks to be a nice scanner at a decent price, so I'd really hate to
take it back.

Thanks,
--
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark
to read."