[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 1650 Photo

Fri, 6 Sep 2002 20:58:08 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 09:42:08AM -0400, powlow wrote:
> i have an 'epson perfection 1650 photo' scanner and have just
> reinstalled my machine with red hat 7.3 with all the relevant updates.
>
> when my computer is booting, the scanner (usb) seems to be polled as
> the main light blinks (a sign of activity for this printer).
> using the sane-backends utility sane-find-scanner, the scanner is found
> with vendor and model code. however, when starting xsane, an error of
> no device found apears and the program exits, not even allowing any
> configuration.

I'm not an expert in Epson scanners but as nobody else answered yet I
will try:

Looks like the scanner is detected by the system correctly but the
epson backends can't find it. Does /etc/sane.d/epson.conf contain the
line "usb /dev/usb/scanner0" (or whatever device sane-find-scanner
prints)? Maybe you have to remove a comment ("#") character at the
beginning of the line.

If this doesn't work, maybe you can find out the source of the
problem with:

SANE_DEBUG_EPSON=255 scanimage -L

> someone here at work spoke of hot plug(?) as a good idea to install.

The hotplug utilities can be used to automatically load the kernel USB
scanner driver or set up permissions correctly. As sane-find-scanner
finds the scanner I don't think that's the problem in your case.