[sane-devel] Scanner buttons (kind of RFC)

mh crapsite@gmx.net
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 14:21:23 +0200

Oliver Rauch, Samstag, 7. September 2002 00:27:
> Yes.
> The button protocoll should not be implemented this way.
> The button protocoll has to be network safe. Imagine what happens
> when 10 frontends poll the buttons at the same time and someone
> does press a button, then up to 10 different people do scan
> the document you want to scan.
> We need a locking function that only one frontend is able to
> ask for the button status.

> I think it is important that we do not implement a quick and
> dirty (and buggy) protocoll for the buttons in sane1.
>
> I do not see a problem to add several new well know options
> to sane1, but we should use the same options thaw will be used
> in sane2 (if possible).

In this case, I suggest at least, that not only the button-option is
well-known in sane2, but also some of the return values
(OCR,Fax,Print,Copy...) plus the possibility to return values that aren't
well-known but within a well-known range (e.g. >1000 or similiar).

It seems, that I don't get my buttons working in the near future ;-(

bb
Michael