[sane-devel] Scanner works fine, but with a lot of error (?) messages in /var/log/messages

Sun, 15 Sep 2002 22:22:37 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 09:53:32PM +0200, Martin Kho wrote:
> My Epson Perfection 1650 (internal name: GT 8200) works as expected. The
> problem is that I get the following messages when using
> sane-find-scanner, scanimage or any other frontend:
>
> cat /var/log/messages:
> kernel: scanner.c: open_scanner(1): Unable to access minor data
> kernel: scanner.c: open_scanner(2): Unable to access minor data
[...]

These messages are generated by the kernel scanner module when SANE
tries to access device files that are currently not in use by that
module.

> The scanner is found as minor 0: open_scanner(0) is ok. With version 1.0.5
> i did't have these messages.

SANE 1.0.5 wasn't able to automatically scan for USB scanners so the
messages didn't occur.

> Can someone tell me what is wrong or what i'm doing wrong?

Everything is ok :-) The driver is just a bit too verbose IMHO.

I will add a paragraph about that message in man sane-usb.