[sane-devel] ANNOUNCEMENT: dust removal: please test

Hans-Peter Rangol hp@rangol.de
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 11:30:39 +0200

Am Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 06:26:28PM -0500 schrieb Frank Zago:
> Hans-Peter Rangol wrote:
> > Am Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 10:59:50PM +0100 schrieb Major A:
> >
> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>I'm proud to make available the first testing version of a
> >>dust-removal facility for film scanners with IR readout. Currently it
> >>is a stand-alone tool, but the actual algorithm is implemented in a
> >>sanei library. The algorithm is so simple I can't think of a good
> >>reason why I didn't come up with it earlier.
> >>
> >>To get it, check out the latest CVS of the coolscan2 project on
> >>sourceforge.net (http://coolscan2.sourceforge.net/). Then use the
> >>program "duster" in the following way:

> > i wish to test it, but it fails to compile with
> >
> > gcc duster.c sanei_irclean.c -o duster

> > Any hint how to resolve this problem?
> >

> gcc duster.c sanei_irclean.c -o duster -lm

thank you very much for your attention, Andras has sent me the description
of the easy way:

 aclocal
 automake --foreign -a
 autoconf
 ./configure
 make

and it worked (despite of the graphic-distiller). duster is compiled.

I have tested duster with different more ore less dusty (and hairy,
because of the cats here around ;-) ) slides, but I see no big difference
in the output of duster and the original rgb-scan. This ist contradictionary
to the log of duster:

Reading IR file... done.
Reading RGB file... done.
Combining files into one array... done.
Cleaning image... done.
Replaced 5728 of 6747 obscured pixels.
Writing output file... done.

Maybe i'm making some mistakes in the scanning process.

btw: The output couldn't  be opened with gimp (1.2.3).
Message of the gimp: x-resolution is wrong.

After convert in.pnm out.pnm gimp was satisfied ;-) .

thank you all,

Hans-Peter Rangol