[sane-devel] Forward: saned problems with xinetd

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm@lineone.net
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:21:38 +0100

On Thursday 19 September 2002 00:15, Robert Kleemann wrote:
> I've been banging my head on this all afternoon so it's time to seek
> help.

> fails when run from xinetd.

I had a very similar problem when I forgot to create the sane user and group.
 according to the installation notes, these are saned and saned, but it never
mentioned creating them.

I believe I fixed it by setting the id in inetd to root root.  This may be a
security hole, but we have a good firewall, and if anyone gets past it, them
being able to use the scanner is the least of our problems.

Martyn Ranyard
Free Software Advocate.

PS.  it was man saned that told me how to insert the line in inetd, but maybe
it should point out that the saned user and group probably won't exist.