[sane-devel] test backend: 1 bit RGB data for grid pattern

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan@buzzard.org.uk
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 22:54:50 +0100

davidm@mostang.com said:
> Never mind my comments.  I missed the fact that you're talking about
> 1-bit RGB data only (not 1-bit monochrome, which does make a lot of
> sense).  I think I added 1-bit RGB just because the Mustek scanner
> could do it, but it always was a mystery to me why 1-bit RGB data
> would be useful.  I don't think even dithering helps there.

Hum, I would have thought that it was obvious. It can be handy in
the production of a one bit monochrome image, where you don't know
in advance whether averaging RGB,RG,GB,RB or just selecting one of
R,G,B will produce the best monochrome scan of a colour image. Well
more likely text on a colour background, or coloured text, or even
a mixture of the two.

All that said, I suspect that the number of people actually making
use of this is rather small.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: jonathan@buzzard.org.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44(0)1661-832195