[sane-devel] USB scanner driver

Thu, 26 Sep 2002 18:15:58 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 11:55:53AM +0530, Manoj wrote:
> I want to write a SANE USB scanner driver.

For which scanner?

> Is there any documentation available for writing a USB scanner driver in
> sane for Linux.

Just keep in mind that SANE is not Linux-only.

> How does it communicate with the Linux USB system and what are the
> calls used.

There is a code layer called sanei_usb that's used to do USB access in
SANE. It uses the kernel scanner driver or libusb. The documentation
of the SANE internal functions is at http://sanei.meier-geinitz.de/ .
The user view of SANE USB access is documented in "man sane-usb".
Some hints about writing backends are in doc/backend-writing.txt.
Please use the latest SANE CVS
(http://www.student.uit.no/~pere/linux/sane/cvs-server.html) so you
get all the USB features.