[sane-devel] Proposal: SANE standard addition (was: test backend: 1 bit RGB data for grid pattern)

Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:26:53 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 10:54:50PM +0100, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
[About 1-bit RGB modes]
> All that said, I suspect that the number of people actually making
> use of this is rather small.

My conclusion of this thread is: It could be used in a reasonable
manner. So let's keep it and define the behaviour once and for all:

The SANE standard reads:

| 3.2.1 Image Transmission

[...]

| Conceptually, each frame is transmitted a byte at a time. Each byte
| may contain 8 sample values (for an image bit depth of 1), one full
| sample value (for an image bit depth of 8), or a partial sample value
| (for an image bit depth of 16 or bigger). In the latter case, the
| bytes of each sample value are transmitted in the machine's native
| byte order.

I propose to add:

"For depth 1, the order of the bits within each byte is most
significant bit to least significant bit."

Comments (also on spelling/grammar as I'm not a native English speaker
:-) are appreciated.