[sane-devel] Proposal: SANE standard addition (was: test backend: 1 bit RGB data for grid pattern)

abel deuring a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 22:19:42 +0200

Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 10:54:50PM +0100, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
> [About 1-bit RGB modes]
>
>>All that said, I suspect that the number of people actually making
>>use of this is rather small.
>

> My conclusion of this thread is: It could be used in a reasonable
> manner. So let's keep it and define the behaviour once and for all:

Right, Jonathan made an interesting point.

> The SANE standard reads:
>
> | 3.2.1 Image Transmission
>
> [...]
>
> | Conceptually, each frame is transmitted a byte at a time. Each byte
> | may contain 8 sample values (for an image bit depth of 1), one full
> | sample value (for an image bit depth of 8), or a partial sample value
> | (for an image bit depth of 16 or bigger). In the latter case, the
> | bytes of each sample value are transmitted in the machine's native
> | byte order.
>
> I propose to add:
>
> "For depth 1, the order of the bits within each byte is most
> significant bit to least significant bit."

To avoid any misunderstanding: "For depth 1, the leftmost pixel is
stored in the most significant bit, and the rightmost pixel in the least
significant bit." ?

And all that for Sane 1 or shall we leave it for Sane 2?

Abel