[sane-devel] Proposal: SANE standard addition (was: test backend: 1 bit RGB data for grid pattern)

abel deuring a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 23:09:20 +0200

Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> Ok,
>
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 10:19:42PM +0200, abel deuring wrote:
>
>>>"For depth 1, the order of the bits within each byte is most
>>>significant bit to least significant bit."
>>
>>To avoid any misunderstanding: "For depth 1, the leftmost pixel is
>>stored in the most significant bit, and the rightmost pixel in the least
>>significant bit." ?
>

> Ok.
>

>>And all that for Sane 1 or shall we leave it for Sane 2?
>

> I think we can do this in SANE 1. It's not really a change but an
> addition of a missing definition. We didn't even increase the minor
> version for such changes in the past. Maybe we should?

well, I don't mind much about the standard version numbering ;) But you
wrote in an earlier mail that some frontends may already support the 1
bit RGB mode. Since we should at least change the output of the test
backend to conform with the addition to/clarification of the standard,
the frontends should have some way to detect this change. So we should
perhaps add something like

   "Before Sane release 1.0.9 RGB 1 bit data was stored in the reverse
   order."

Abel