[sane-devel] Proposal: SANE standard addition

Sun, 29 Sep 2002 16:53:39 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 06:37:39AM -0700, Dave Close wrote:
> Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> >"The combination of bit depth 1 and SANE_FRAME_RGB (or SANE_FRAME_RED,
> >SANE_FRAME_GREEN, SANE_FRAME_BLUE) is rarely used and may not be
> >supported by every frontend."
>
> That almost sounds as though you are giving permission to a frontend
> not to implement the combination. Does the standard apply to backends
> only?

Both, backends and frontends. But you can't force the frontend (or
backend) to implement everything. E.g. a frontend can decide to ignore
any option. Or it doesn't need to call sane_set_io_mode even if the
backend provides that function. The backend doesn't need to support
all modes and in my opinion the frontend doesn't need to do that also.
It just can't be used for the mode in that case.

Practically, most frontends don't implement all modes. The only one I
found some time ago that could do every mode was quiteinsane. But this
may have changed in between.