[sane-devel] Proposal: SANE standard addition

Sun, 29 Sep 2002 19:29:45 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 06:30:15PM +0200, abel deuring wrote:
> I'm afraid that this could lead to increased traffic on this list. If we
> have a backend for a more popular scanner which supports 1 bit RGB
> output, we will probably get a number of questions, what some strange
> error message means or why the output look scrambled. As a workaround,
> the frontends should at least be be able to display a message "this
> program does not support 1 bit RGB scans.", if a user attempts to start
> such a scan.

A frontend should display a clear error message in every occasion it
can't do something. As I've written, most frontends don't support all
modes anyway. When I wrote the test backend there was not a single
frontend that could do all modes.

I don't insist on adding the comment about the rarely used mode, it
just describes the current reality.