[sane-devel] Umax Ultraslim 1220

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Mon Sep 30 17:36:32 BST 2002

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 06:03:37PM +0200, antoine wrote:
> Somebody can tell me which low price scanner (USB or // port) is perfectely
> compatible on Linux ?

Probably any of the devices mentioned at the SANE website. At least if
it isn't marked "unsupported" or "untested".

> works means that I only have to open "xsane" and the window appears to scan
> properly !

This means you can't use most of the parport scanners because you
need to be root and/or fiddle with saned and config files.

Even with USB scanners you may need to adjust permissions for
/dev/usbscanner* or libusb files and/or run "modprobe scanner
vendor=something product=something" if they are new.

The usual problem is: Older scanners are (mostly) well supported in
the stable SANE distribution. But you may not be able to buy them any
more. New ones are either not supported yet or at least you need to do
some manual twiddling.

Or you buy a scanner that provides Linux drivers on it's driver CD.
At least the Mustek BearPaw 1200 CU has some sort of Linux scanning
program on its CD. It's not SANE but basically seems to work :-)