[sane-devel] Getting back to my 1200UB problem...

Tue, 1 Apr 2003 10:28:38 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 03:53:28PM -0600, jhaynes@alumni.uark.edu wrote:
> On the old machine, 66MHz Pentium, scans of halftone pictures in
> magazines come out fine.  On the new machine, 2.4GHz Pentium 4,
> I get the ugly looking pictures, Moire effects on the halftone.
>
> Another curiosity is that I view the raw bits file with xv or
> gimp and both show the Moire checkerboarding.  But with xv, if
> I click on the file name in the control window, which should
> make it reread the same file, the Moire checkerboarding goes away
> and I get a nice picture.

Sp it's not a SANE problem. Moire-effects depend on the resolution not
only of the scan but also of the dispaly. So if you magnify an image
on the scareen with some factors the moire may be there with others it
isn't. That's more a problem of image manipulation. IIRC, gimp has
a moire filter.