[sane-devel] Problems problems problems

Steven Lobbezoo courrier@demeures-provence.com
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 11:36:21 +0200

Hi,

It's amazing that no one ever writes about something that was a succes to=
 a=20
mailing list, but i'm affraid i have to confirm to this standard ;-))

I'm working with Linux Suse 8.1 and sane 1.0.8-47  on a PC.
My scanner is a Epson Perfection 1260 (USB).

I installed one in a seperate office, no problem. Took me 5 minutes and w=
ith=20
Gimp and XSane it was working like a charm!
Then i started installing in this office (same software, same scanner), a=
nd I=20
cannot get it to work.

I tried to exchange scanners and cables, both of them are working fine in=
 the=20
other office.
I tried to install the latest release of sane, but it needs GLIBC2_3, and=
 i=20
cannot install that (inpossible to find a compiled version, try to compil=
e=20
myself, but the library does not work - after 2 days i gave up on that).
So i went back to the mentioned version. The scanner is recognized by the=
=20
system. As soon as i put the cable in it appears on my desktop, it seems =
to=20
be ok, when i make a hardware scan it's found, KDE say's it's just fine.

But if i try to start Xsane (or do the test during Yast installation) it =
just=20
hangs! Nothing happens. I tried to start "xsane /dev/usb/scanner0", but t=
hen=20
it comes back with an error 5 and dumps core.

For your info: I've tried to connect other USB equipment (a camera) to th=
e USB=20
port and that works just fine.

It must be something in the software, but i cannot figure it out.
Please can anyone give me a tip what to do ?

Thanks in advance.
Steven