[sane-devel] Problems problems problems

Wed, 2 Apr 2003 15:08:59 +0200

Hi,

please reply to the sane-devel mailing list, not to me personally. I'm
adding a cc: now.

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 03:57:58PM +0200, Steven Lobbezoo wrote:
> > > I tried to install the latest release of sane, but it needs GLIBC2_3,
> >
> > The source code does not depend on any specific glibc version. In
> > fact, it doesn't depend on glibc at all.
> So, why does it refuse to install (as says yast2) because my libc.so.6 is the
> wrong version ?

I can only repeat what I said: "The source code does not depend on any
specific glibc version. In fact, it doesn't depend on glibc at all."

If you talk about yast2 complaining, you didn't build from source, did
you? If you use RPMs, they may be made for one specific distribution
and version of libc, but that's not connected to SANE at all. The SANE
project does not provide RPMs.

> > Ignore all this high-level stuff unless you really know what it means.
> > Does "KDE say's it's just fine" mean that he kernel scanner driver has
> > detected the scanner and the permissions are set up correctly? I'm
> > pretty sure KDE just doesn't know. So ignore it.
> Ok, but it means that the scanner is there, and that KDE considers it's
> working fine (it has it's type, id and USB number)

Well, I've written all I wanted to say about it in the paragraph
above. If you think KDE is smart enough to know that the scanner
module is loaded and the permissions are set up correctly then you can
ignore these comments. And it doesn't seem to be your problem in this
case anyway.

> Done that, the output is:

> [plustek] Vendor ID=0x04B8, Product ID=0x011D
> [plustek] Device >0x04B8-0x011D<, is not supported!
> [plustek] open failed: -1
> [plustek] sane_get_devices (0xbffff068, 0)
>
> To my humble opinion: the scanner is not supported!

Yes, as Gerhard has already written. I didn't check that because you
said the scanner works with the same software on another computer and
I believed that. In fact, you used a newer version of sane on your
other computer?

> So, i need to install a new release, but how if i donnot have the correct
> version of libc.so.6 ?

Which RPM did you use? There is one for SUSE at
http://packman.links2linux.de/?action=211 . If that doesn't work,
rebuild it from source.