[sane-devel] Gradually increasing scan times

Karl O. Pinc kop@meme.com
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 00:04:59 -0500

On 2003.04.11 11:57 Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:

> I have no experience with your scanner but maybe the comments help
> nevertheless.

Yes, thanks to everybody who responded.

It is a SMP system.

I've tried scanimage and see the same problems.

'modprobe sg' prior to starting xsane gets rid of the problem
where no devices are recognized the first time.  Thanks.

I've tried with scsi reconnect disabled on the bus and that doesn't
help.

The thing that would be odd if it was a scsi problem is that I
haven't touched the hardware (until this happened and I started
poking with a stick.)

Sounds like the consensus is to upgrade.

So, I've installed the sane-backend and sane-frontend 1.0.11 (rpm
release 1)
rpms uploaded by T. Ribbrock to Redhat's site.  (I couldn't compile them
without installing too many dependencies.)  And recompiled and
installed the
xsane 0.90 (rpm release 1) rpm.  (I couldn't install the binary because
of
dependencies.)  And now what's happening is that the scanner device is
never found.  scanimage doesn't find the scanner either, but
sane-find-scanner
does.  Something overwrote my config file without telling me.  The new
/etc/sane.d/hp.conf file (after my messing with it) is:

/dev/sg3
scsi HP C2520A * * * * *

sane-find-scanner says:
[root@mofo root]# sane-find-scanner
found SCSI processor "HP C2520A 3644" at /dev/sg3
found SCSI processor "HP C2520A 3644" at /dev/sgd

/dev/sg3 has world read/write permissions.

Old messages quoted below.  Nothing new here.  Move along folks:

Peter Kirchgessner <peter@kirchgessner.net> wrote:

> if you believe it is a memory problem, you can run xosview to watch
> the memory use during scan.
> But it really may be a hardware problem. The scanner is warming up
> the lamp and is waiting until the light stabilizes. And maybe you
> have a version of the hp-backend that switches off the lamp after
> each scan. The current backend will not do that. This could also
> speed up the following scans.

Karl <kop@meme.com>
                  -- Robert A. Heinlein