[sane-devel] Last call for new backends

Tue, 15 Apr 2003 11:18:26 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 08:31:40AM +0200, Thomas Soumarmon wrote:
> SANE API
> I did not follow the changes that were made to the SANE API, if they exist, so
> I don't know what the behaviour of the backend could be with 1.0.12

The API hasn't been changed for years. The sanei functions may change,
but I don't think there has been a relevant change lately.

> Transport protocol
> The last point I think of is that the communication with the scanner is made
> only through ioctl() function. To be SANE compliant, I suppose it would need
> to have more options than this one. I suppose this should not be a lot of
> work, but it is still too much for my own agenda.

Just use the sanei_usb functions. They'll select automatically libusb
or the kernel scanner driver.

Direct hardware access like ioctl shouldn't be in the backends directly.

What about libieee1284? I have seen some defines for that? Does the
backend work with parport also? If yes, that'd need some work to only
use libieee1284 if it's available.

> If someone would have time to integrate it into sane, it would be nice.
> Integration would consist in :
> * port hp5400 Makefile into SANE compilation structure
> * verify hp5400 API is correct for SANE
> * support of others transport protocol

I'll check how much work it is.

> The latest source code is accessible via cvs at sourceforge :
> cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/hp5400backend login
> cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/hp5400backend co
> hp5400/hp5400

cvs [login aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

I'll try later.

> I would be very pleased if someone would help us for the integration of the
> hp5400 backend.

Ok.