[sane-devel] Gradually increasing scan times

abel deuring a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 11:35:47 +0200

"Karl O. Pinc" wrote:

> > > [root@mofo xsane]# ( export SANEI_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=255; export
> > > SANE_DEBUG_HP=255; scanimage -d hp:/dev/sg3 | xloadimage stdin )
> >
> > SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=255, not SANEI_DEBUG. But the HP one is correct.
>
> So, now this hangs the box.  It looks like the modem still works but X
> is
> hung along with the keyboard and mouse.  I get 1 character from the
> keyboard
> when on a virtual console and then nothing after that.
>
> I'm inclined to let it lie at this point and just declare my scanner
> broken
> because I don't have more time to mess with it.   Maybe upgrading all
> the
> software to a newer disto release with fix things.  (Later.)

Yes, there is something seriously broken, but I don't believe that it is
the scanner. If your Linux box hangs in such a way, this looks more like
a hardware problem (bad RAM for example) or a kernel bug. But a broken
SCSI scanner should not be able to lock up your box,

Abel