[sane-devel] Last call for new backends

Martijn van Oosterhout Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 19:41:43 +1000

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 09:53:40AM +0200, Julien BLACHE wrote:
> Thomas Soumarmon <soumarmt@nerim.net> wrote:
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> > If someone would have time to integrate it into sane, it would be nice.=
=20
> > Integration would consist in :
> > * port hp5400 Makefile into SANE compilation structure
> > * verify hp5400 API is correct for SANE
> > * support of others transport protocol=20
>=20
> FYI I integrated your backend into the libsane-extras Debian package a
> week ago.

Very cool. Thanks for that.

FWIW, the main problem it has is getting testers. On all the scanners we've
tested (about 3 AFAIK) it works fine. It's never been tested on anything
other than linux, or on anything than i386 for that matter. I'm almost
expecting some endian-problems on other architectures but without an example
I can't check.

However, it don't hang or segfault, it doesn't break the scanner or make
nasty noises. The image quality is good. If inclusion in a real release gets
it the exposure it needs I'm all for it.

My question is though, once it is included how do we update it? Do we
continue externally and sync periodically or do we get commit access some
other way? How does it work?

> The package is built using a stripped-down sane-backends source tree ;
> all I did is rename hp5400-sane.c to hp5400.c and hp5400.c to
> hp5400_stdalone.c (or similar), adjusting file references where
> needed.
>=20
> It built fine, and no problems were reported so far (somebody asked
> for its inclusion).

Good. We'll accept any patches that make it easier. Hey, maybe that's
another user it worked for! :)

Actually I notice sourceforge has logged 75 downloads and no bugs. Obviously
it works good enough for most people (or it doesn't work at all).

Have a nice day,
--=20
> "the West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or
> religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence.
> Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
>   - Samuel P. Huntington

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z--