[sane-devel] Last call for new backends

Martijn van Oosterhout Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 22:54:00 +1000

--IDYEmSnFhs3mNXr+

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 11:47:10AM +0200, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 08:31:40AM +0200, Thomas Soumarmon wrote:
> > The hp5400 backend works ok with sane 1.0.11. The main functionality it=
=20
> > misses, is the 2400 dpi scan. We have not been working on it for one mo=
nth=20
> > due to lack a of spare time.
>=20
> What about the license? Any reason not to use the SANE addition to GPL?

Oh. I'd looked at the license in packaged into /usr/share/doc/sane and it
just said GPLv2. Now the source says:

    Backend libraries are protected by the GNU General Public License (see
    file COPYING), but as an exception, it is permissible to link against
    such a library without affecting the licensing status of the program
    that uses the libraries.  For details, see the copyright notice at the
    head of the backend files (e.g., backend/dll.c).

Isn't that just the LGPL?

Anyway, I have no objections but obviously this needs to be organised
properly and agreed to by people. Is it actually a requirement though? It
doesn't appear to be so.
--=20
> "the West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or
> religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence.
> Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
>   - Samuel P. Huntington

--IDYEmSnFhs3mNXr+

--IDYEmSnFhs3mNXr+--