[sane-devel] Xsane go.... -no go.... "Bugger!"

Sun, 3 Aug 2003 11:59:24 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 05:01:54PM +1200, Frank wrote:
> The system 'hung' when I attempted to access the memory stick but continued on
> its way when I switched off the 'Self' mode.

Very strange.

> > > "scanimage -L".
> > > device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname STV0680 virtual device
>
> > That's your camera. If you don't want to use it with SANE, you can
> > disable it by commenting out "v4l" in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf.
>
> OK. Tried that and got back to 'no devices found' NB. when xsane was running
> [and previewing me through my PocketCam] I went to preferences and selected
> 'Load devices'.

Do you mean "load device settings?" That only loads the option values
you used last time with your scanner. It doesn't change which device
you are using.

> There it saw my scanner but the resultant action when I selected it
> had me back out.

You saw the settings for your scanner. That doesn't help.

Your problem is that SANE, or better, the snapscan backend does not
find your device.

> > > Aug  4 00:24:54 localhost kernel: scanner.c: open_scanner(0): Scanner
> > > device is already open
> >
> > That means when you run "scanimage -L" another program had already
> > opened the scanner. YOu can't open it twice at the same time. Maybe
> > there was xsane or another fronetend running? Maybe it crashed but is
> > still blocking /dev/usb/scanner0 for some reason? Check ps -ax.
>
> Er.... nothing obvious to me here. What ought I be looking for?

You can use "lsof /dev/usb/scanner0" to find out if some program has
already opened the scanner.

> > SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=255 scanimage -d snapscan >/tmp/image.pnm 2>log
>
> I couldn't get any results from this issue so dropped the >/tmp... etc part
> and got:

The 2>log means "write the debug messages to the file named 'log' in
the current directory".

> # SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=255 scanimage -d snapscan
> [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of snapscan to 255.
> [snapscan] sane_snapscan_init
> [snapscan] sane_snapscan_init: Snapscan backend version 1.4.22
> [snapscan] add_usb_device(libusb:001:003)
> [snapscan] add_usb_device: Detected (kind of) an USB device
> [snapscan] snapscani_usb_open(libusb:001:003)
> [snapscan] add_usb_device: error opening device libusb:001:003: Device busy

That's basically the same message as in the kernel log file.

Try (as root) "rmmod scanner" to unload the kernel scanner driver.
Then try (also as root) if "scanimage -L" finds your scanner now.

> Got that and it fits with my "NB" above. I just wonder if there is a means
> within Xsane to actually select the preferred device?

That's not the real proble. If the snapscan backend found the scanner,
xsane would show it to you.

Can I see your snapscan.conf (in /etc/sane.d/), please?