[sane-devel] Xsane go.... -no go.... "Bugger!"

Sun, 3 Aug 2003 14:53:36 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 12:33:54AM +1200, Frank wrote:
> At this point I got on with following your advice and the following is the
> results:
>
> [root@localhost root]# lsof /dev/usb/scanner0

That means that no device currently has opened /dev/usb/scanner.
That's ok.

> [root@localhost root]# rmmod scanner
> [root@localhost root]# scanimage -L
> device `snapscan:libusb:001:003' is a Acer FlatbedScanner13 flatbed scanner
>
> This is exactly as printed in the text console.

Ok, that looks fine. You can try to scan now with scanimage (e.g.
scanimage >image.pnm). If that doesn't work, you may need a firmware
file. See man sane-snapscan for details.

If scanimage -L works for root but not for the user, you may need to
edit /etc/fstab and do "umount /proc/bus/usb; mount /proc/bus/usb".
Some explanation is in "man sane-usb", section LIBUSB.

After that (and the firmware thing) you should be able to also use
xsane.

> Also after this I see that the desktop icon has gone.

I don't know, what that means. Is this a KDE or Gnome thing?

> > > I couldn't get any results from this issue so dropped the >/tmp... etc
> > > part and got:
> >
> > The 2>log means "write the debug messages to the file named 'log' in
> > the current directory".
>
> Which for me may mean that there was no output hence no find?

If the file named "log" was empty, there was no output.

> You can see the results above. It seems that my scanner is being seen?

Yes.

> How can I refuse such a polite request? Does this mean I'm about to be dressed
> military style? Sorry, it's past midnight here so I'm taking things lightly.
>
> Hope the following doesn't blow my file size budget.

Looks ok (but the firmware file issue, as mentioned above).

Here is a short explanation what you have donme until now:

There are two ways to access USB scanners under Linux: The kernel
scanner driver and libusb. The kernel scanner driver didn't work for
some reason, so you are using libusb now.