[sane-devel] Digital ICE support

Major A andras@users.sourceforge.net
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 13:11:29 +0000

> The problem with Kodachrome is the same as it is with B&W negative film.
> The sensitive emulsion contains a large amount of silver and this
> materiel does produce something when scanning with IR, unlike it is done
> with conventionnal C41 or E6 emulsions.

Hmmm. Kodachrome emulsions don't contain any silver after processing,
but the die is different from that used in modern films, and their
absorption extends further into the near-IR range.

> Nikon has apparently solved the problem with the latest Coolscans, but
> one has to investigate how.

That's good news. I'm quite sure it's a software-only solution,
i.e. one can apply it to the older Coolscans as well.

  Andras

Major Andras
    e-mail: andras@users.sourceforge.net
    www:    http://andras.webhop.org/